Sunday, December 8, 2013

Look to the Savior

This week was another good week.  We were expecting to be heading off to Ma-ao, but because of the delay in my passport we were unable to.  President Lopez doesn't feel comfortable with us going there without a car because we will have to be traveling back and forth from La Carlota.  Our house won't be ready to move into until the 23rd of December.

We were able to witness a tender mercy from the Lord this week.  Our baptism was not looking so promising as of Friday afternoon.  However, we never lost faith that our investigator would get the long, very long, awaited okay from her father.  It is so tough because she is only a year away from not needing permission at all and knowing how badly she wanted to be baptized was testing all of our faith.  But between the four of us trying just about every other hour to catch her very busy father at home, finally Elder's Doane and Sablan were able to talk with him and remove the miscommunication that was causing his worry.  I think he was under the impression we were trying to get his daughter to become a nun!  Anyways, he finally agreed and now we have a return appointment with his family.

Yesterday we went to Bago 1st Ward.  It was a great experience.  When all the members knew we were assigned to Ma-ao, they were more than eager to give us referrals.  We also found two young men preparing for missions that want to work with us!  They are both over 18, so we have the perfect set up for member exchanges once we have learned the area.  We have one active member who is also a recent convert, but just wait and see--he will become our first branch president in Ma-ao!!!!

So this week in my personal study, I came across something really cool.  I was reading the Bible in Matthew Chapter 14.  In this chapter there is the story of Peter walking on the water.  I always kinda read right over this and never really tried to think about how this story could apply to my life.  Anyways, the apostles were on a boat in the middle of the Sea of Galilee and a big storm came.  As they were trying to make all things ready so the boat wouldn't flip, they saw a man in the middle of the tempest.  They were very afraid until the man spoke, saying, in verse 27, ". . .it is I, be not afraid."  That was the point they recognized that being as Jesus Christ.  Peter instantly begged the Lord for the opportunity to walk out to Him on the water and the Lord permitted him to.  Now this is where the lesson comes in.  When Peter starts walking, he has not trouble at all.  It says in verse 29 that he walked on the water to " . . . go to Jesus."  When I read that, I figured his eyes were set on the Lord with nothing wavering--not his vision or his faith.  But then we read in verse 30 that the winds became boisterous and Peter got afraid.  At this point I am sure Peter took his eyes off the Savior and began to look at the storm that was encircling him.  This fear caused him to start sinking.  When at that time in desperation he returned his focus to the Lord and cried, " . . . Lord save me."  Immediately Jesus set his hand out and caught His sinking Apostle.  Then in verse 31 it says, " . . . Oh thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"  The Lord knew the whole time all Peter needed to do to continue walking on the water was to continue to focus on the Lord.

Now for the application to our lives.  So many times we, like Peter, are so confident in our faith and truly feel like we can walk on water.  We start and everything is going so good because our view is fixed on our Savior.  Then Satan comes in and throws doubt into our lives or sometimes Heavenly Father sends us trials to make us stronger.  We start to worry and start focusing on ourselves.  We literally take our eyes off the Savior and His power to help us.

Another scripture that came into my mind as I was reading this was in D&C 6:36-37.  In verse 36 the Lord says, "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not."  I love that He uses the word look.  It works perfect with this story.  He is pretty much saying to us, please don't worry about this.  Don't be afraid--I got this one!  But then even to add to it, in verse 37 He gives His own qualifications for deserving our faith.  It says, "Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet . . . "  That verse hit me with a lot of power.  I seriously feel like Jesus is begging us saying, "look at these scars in my hands and on my feet, look at the wound in my side.  I have every single one of your fears, sorrows, trials, pleadings, etc. written into my body.  If anyone can help you, it is me.  So don't be afraid, I will help you!"

I just want to end with my testimony that being members of this church doesn't mean we live a life full of joy here on this earth.  If this church wasn't true, Satan wouldn't even pay attention to us. All the trials and doubts and struggles we feel is a testimony to me that this is true. I know that our Savior lives and I know He loves each and every one of us with a love that is far, far beyond our ability to understand.  All we need to do is try our best, and He will take care of the rest.

I love you all so much.  I hope this is able to help someone in some way!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment