Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Many Lessons Learned

This past week was extremely busy for us.  It seemed like every day we were going somewhere or doing something.  We were able to get some solid work done, even though our proslyting hours were lower than usual.

Monday we had a zone activity that ran long, so we were late getting home from grocery shopping.  We were only able to go tracting for an hour.

Tuesday was the day of the chicken!  We had a district meeting in Mansilingon, which is 30 minutes away.  There are these three chickens that always come into our yard and dig through our garbage.  I always clean it up, and I was particularly mad when we returned home and found that the mess was bigger than usual.  When the chickens returned later in the day, I decided to do something about it.  I picked up a rock, crow hopped, and threw it at one of them . . . right in the head from about 10 feet away.  It just fell dead before I even knew what had happened.  I was pretty excited and went into the house to tell Elder Paano about it.  Panicked he said, "Elder Wilstead, what have you done?"  I told him I had just killed the wild chicken. He then informed me that the chicken had an owner.  In the Philippines, the owners just let their chickens wander wherever they want.  We put the chicken in a plastic bag and hid it until after our work that day.  When we returned home, we looked for the owner and couldn't find one.  We tried all the houses and nobody claimed to own it.  Anyways, I then disposed of the chicken and counted it as a funny story.  It could have been really bad though, so I am lucky!!!!

We had a training meeting at the Mission Home on Wednesday. I got to see Elder Doane, so that was awesome.  Him and I are going the opposite directions in the weight category.  I'm losing it and he is gaining!  He jokes about it, so it's okay.  He said if he decides to play football for BYU when he returns, he won't have to gain anymore weight because the mission did it for him!!!!

Thursday was a full day of proslyting.  It was also the day I found a cure for pink eye!  We walked into an apartment to a mom squirting breast milk into her 6 year old's eye.  I was dying!  It's a good thing I know the family well so they didn't get offended by my non-stop laughter.  It was a little tough to feel the spirit during the lesson because I couldn't stop laughing.  That image is burned in my mind!!!!

Saturday we had the opportunity to baptize Rudy Lachica.  I had baptized his mother and brother, but he wasn't interested at first.  Then we started teaching him, but he had a problem attending church because of his TB which had returned.  We taught him for four months and many times I was ready to drop him, however we kept going back.  One night he asked me for a blessing, and I remember feeling the prompting to promise him a full recovery of his TB and that it wouldn't return if he would abide by the principles of the gospel.  He still didn't come to church the next couple of weeks and his condition worsened.  One night he said he was praying and the words came into his mind very clearly to "listen to my servant, Elder Wilstead".  When he told me this experience, it was all I could do to hold back the tears as the Spirit testified to me about the power of the priesthood we hold as members of his church.  I know that there is nothing more real or more powerful than this priesthood.  I don't for one second claim to have healed him from TB, because that was from God.  All I did was say the words.  Anyways, being able to baptize him was a great opportunity and a lesson on endurance for me!

This is the chicken we had to dispose of.  At least it
won't be getting in our garbage anymore!!!

We were out proslyting and came across a cock fight.  We only stayed
long enough to snap this photo.  We definitely stood out in the crowd!



No comments:

Post a Comment