Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sad News from EB Magalona

What a week!  It was kind of a roller coaster ride, but we got through it.  The early part of the week was disappointing because a lot of the people we have been teaching are not progressing as much as we were hoping they would be.  A big problem that Elder De Vera and I found is that none of them really understand the great apostasy.  It sounds like a simple fix, but no such luck!  At least five of our seven companionship studies this week was specifically centered on the apostasy and how to teach it more simply so they could understand.  When we tried to apply those things, they STILL didn't understand it.  That was frustrating beyond belief.  We really couldn't tell what we needed to do to help them understand.  I finally just flat out told them that because the authority was lost, their church  wasn't the true one.  They still didn't understand though!  It was a little ridiculous, but we are going to continue looking for ways to make it better.

We had a Stake Conference with Elder Adern.  It was really good.  It was great to be able to listen to him and be around that intense spirit he brings. He said something to Elder De Vera and I that was really cool.  He said, "You are doing a divinely appointed work, and you are doing it very well."  I'm not exactly sure why, but it seemed to lift our spirits.

Something interesting happened this week as we were out walking.  We passed a house and a lady stopped me to tell me that I looked like Jesus Christ.  At first it was kinda weird because obviously I don't look anything like our Savior.  But, as we continued walking it was really cool to think that when she saw me she thought of the Savior.  Now, I am nothing compared to our Savior, nor am I hinting that I am.  I just though of the scripture in Alma 5 that talks about having " . . . His image engraved
upon your countenance. . " as you strive to become like Him.  It made me feel like I am really becoming the best missionary I can be at this moment.

And now for one of the toughest "missionary related" things that has happened to me on my mission.  I got a text Monday after I got off email that Sister Antonano had passed away.  She was the lady with one leg in EB Magalona that Elder and I taught and baptized with her husband.  I took it kinda tough, but I was instantly filled with peace that I helped her to be prepared for that time when Father called her back into his presence.  Thinking back on how hard it was to get her baptized, I was so glad that we were finally able to help her.  Her husband, Brother Antonano (my favorite baptism and a man I love with my whole heart) is still active in the church and now has the Melchizedek priesthood.  I am hoping after June 1, 2014, he will go to Manilla with his daughter who is a member and get sealed to his wife in the temple.

That was my week.  Things are going well. Next week I will be less than five months away from coming home. 

Love you all!

Cole and his "Man Purse"

Life is good!

Bago Stake Conference with Elder Adern

Elder Adern speaking with the missionaries






No comments:

Post a Comment