Sunday, April 28, 2013

President's Training


This week was a good one for us.  We started the week off with President's Training at the mission home.  It is always fun to go there.  We always have one-on-one interviews with President Lopez and he is always in tune with the Spirit to know exactly what I need to talk about.

We were able to have the baptism for Sister Gloria Bolivar.  It was good because it finished the family, at least the ones who are old enough to be baptized!  The best part was that her husband was the one who was able to baptize her.  He is our recent convert of only about 3 1/2 weeks.  We were reviewing the baptismal prayer with him and he was so nervous, but he had it memorized when the baptism came around and it went perfect.  He didn't even need the paper copy we made for him to read if he forgot it.

This week we went on exchanges again.  I went with Elder Fernando in Manta-angan.  He is a very sharp missionary.  He is really trying to learn the language.  Even when people would speak Tagalog to him (and a lot did), he would always reply in what Illongo he knows.

The tough part about the last couple of days here in EB Magalona is that they are having the annual Ugyunan Festival.  It is a lot bigger than I was expecting it to be.  They had live bands every night, so it was really hard to sleep.  Also, with the festival going on, nobody is at their homes.  Friday, Saturday, and Sunday we were able to teach a couple of people, but the rest of the days we went to EVERY single person we planned for.  That usually doesn't happen.  We usually run out of time in the day way before we run out of people in our planner.  I am continually reminded about how badly I need to learn patience!

So it is close to the end of the month, which means our support money is running thin.  Saturday our gas ran out, so we couldn't cook anything. It costs us each 600 pesos to refill it.  Right now I have a little bit over 40 pesos (less than a dollar) cash to last me until the 2nd, when support gets reloaded.  We have eaten Uga (little dried fish) for the last three days because it's only 5 pesos for three little fish.  It is disgusting, but you do what you have to do!  I will send a picture of it.  You don't taste the fishy taste if you drench it in vinegar!!! I have some support on my mission credit card that I haven't withdrawn, so I will be able to buy some chicken today when we go to the market in Silay because they take cards. There aren't any ATMs in EB Magalona.

Saturday was National Service Day in the Philippines, so we went to a park and pulled weeds as a ward.  I remember how much I hate doing that!  It is way better in St. George though, because even though it is hot you don't sweat as much.  My shirt was drenched by the end of the day.  Now I have a weird skin rash that is spreading all over my body.  I don't really know what it is, but they are little red patches that are swelled up and itch like crazy!  I am supposed to go see the dermatologist today, so I will be fine.

Just so you know, I hate not playing baseball!  I am going crazy.  I bought a tennis ball and I just throw it against the wall in our house to work on my hands.  I also found a bamboo stick that is almost the perfect length for a bat.  I took that to our apartment and swing it all the time.  I have quite the imagination. I have hit a walk-off homerun in the college world series about twenty times now, so when it actually happens my homerun trot will be flawless!

At the end of this week, I will have less than 14 months left!  I am hoping the time will continue to go by fast.  It has been a good transfer as far as that is concerned.  That is one of the many reasons why I don't want either of us to transfer.  We aren't best friends, but the time goes by fast and I don't hate him, so that's good!

Anyways, I love you guys so much!  Have a great week!




Teaching at President's Training
Uga

Food--One of the best things about going to the mission home!

No comments:

Post a Comment