Sunday, April 14, 2013

General Conference

What a wonderful two days of General Conference.  It is like the Superbowl for missionaries!  The whole week you want to focus on the work, but in the back of your mind you know that this weekend will be something different. I need to say that now that I am a missionary, General Conference means a little more to me.  I never fully understood the concept and blessings of having living apostles and prophets until I got on my mission.  I have seen just how lost some people can become without the guidance of our Lord through his prophets.  I may be a little bias since he is from St. George, but Elder Holland is by far one of the most powerful speakers I have  heard.  It was impossible for me to take my eyes off him while he was speaking!  That is the type of missionary I want to become.  The one where after I leave the house, the people just sit there wondering what they just witnessed (except I will be sure to teach for understanding!!!)  Anyways, let's just say I am spending some of my email time rewatching that particular talk.

This week was good.  The first couple of days were rough.  With such a big area, you need to plan by area to make sure you use your time wisely.  Then when you plan for an area and get "punted" four times, it makes filling an hour or two pretty difficult.  We were able to make do with what we had though.  Even if we threw out the plan and just winged it.

On Wednesday, we had exchanges and Elder Cannon came with me.  My limited knowledge of the area was evident and we finally had to call it a day at 8 pm because I had absolutely no idea where to go.  We had exhausted the people in the area that I knew and didn't know what to do.  We tried OYM at the park, but that was going nowhere because of the Barangay Basketball games.  We called it a  night a little bit early!  Elder Cannon is a great missionary.  He is still struggling with the language, but I tried my best to help him with some tips that helped me.  Honestly, the only real thing that has helped me is reading the Book of Mormon in Hiligaynon and speaking the language as much as possible.  He is doing a good job training Elder Fernando and they are both being obedient.  He admitted that sometimes they fall short on the exact obedience, but then we had a good talk about the atonement and how that makes up for the little part as long as we are trying our best.  I was impressed with him and can see him as a future leader in the mission.

While we were doing our companionship study, I had a little revelation.  We were reading from PMG page 105, paragraph 2 when it talks about the real purpose of the Book of Mormon.  It's main purpose is to testify about the Bible that Jesus is the Christ.  This lead me to think about a different way of introducing the Book of Mormon.  Elder Cannon and I practiced and I am very excited to try using it in an actual situation.  In this way I want to focus more on how the Book of Mormon testifies of the Bible and Christ, and less on the Nephites/Lamanites and Joseph Smith.  After I tell them what the Book of Mormon does, I will try to show them what it means if it is true.  The I will introduce Joseph Smith.  I am hoping that it will give people a greater desire to read it as a testimony to Christ.  We will see.

Friday we walked probably a little over 10 kilometers . . . that sucked!  I was so tired and was so ready for bed.  I was sleeping great until 4:11 am.  Why that specific time?  That was the time my buddy (who happens to be about a foot long rat) decided to come in and try snuggling with me.  I woke up when he got on my stomach.  I freaked out and swatted him with my hand.  He flew against the wall, squeaked, and ran out of the room.  Needless to say, I couldn't sleep the rest of the night.

I met someone who knows Dad.  I know her as Sister Polatis, but I am pretty sure Dad knows her as either Bruce or Todd's assistant.  She worked in their office.  I am sending a picture of me and her.  She recognized Dad's picture, so he may recognize her.

Saturday night it rained so hard.  It hasn't rained forever, so I was loving falling asleep to the rain.  Anyways, our house flooded.  Our area book was soaking wet, Dad's present got ruined, and just about everything else that was on floor level was trashed.  Conference was later that day, so it was all good.  All the stuff that was wet can be replaced.  I would take a flooded house over a rat the size of a cat any day!

My proslyting shoes got another hole in them, but this time it also put a hole in my sock.  Instead of continuing to wear those shoes and have to buy new shoes and socks, I decided to take one for the team and proslyte in flip flops!  It was so great!!!!  It is also one of the items on my mission bucket list. I repented and promised Heavenly Father I will only do it out necessity like this week.  I can't go to the mall which is an hour away in the middle of the week.  I will send a picture.

I love you guys so much and hope you have a great week!



Sister Polatis and Cole

Sporting the flip flops!





No comments:

Post a Comment