Monday, September 3, 2012

First Email From the Philippines

We received our first email from the Philippines (not counting the one that told us he arrived safely).  Here is a copy of it:

Oh my goodness. This is pretty crazy. It is like nothing I have ever experienced nor will ever experience again in my life. If you guys could see this place you wouldn't believe it. I have yet to be in a house that is bigger than the piano room.  No joke. Most of them don't even have a floor, just dirt. Some of them are literally made out of bamboo. I will never take things for granted when I get back, that is for sure. Our apartment shocked me when I first got here, and it is one of the nicest ones in the whole mission. I have a shower, but it cuts in and out every couple of minutes and the water is cold. Oh well!! It feels good because it's so hot here!

I have already lost a lot of weight. I can see my abs! I am not eating a ton, because I don't really like rice but I am learning. It is tough to speak the language.  I don't understand anyone! It's okay, I will learn. We are so busy all the time and I am tired all the time. It's hard to wake up in the mornings, but I have to do work if I want to help people and that is the goal.

Everywhere I go I hear, hey joe, or CANO (short for americano) but it is fun. Little kids will always run up to me and compare their skin to mine. It is hard for me because I feel so prideful and selfish all the time. These people are so happy with their lives and everything they have and I complain about the stupidest things. I need to be more grateful and forget about myself.

My companion is awesome. He is very helpful and good at English, so he helps me a lot. He is so humble and loves missionary work, so that is good. I lean on him a lot so I am glad that he is so comfortable with everything!

Now for the best part! I have a baptism on Saturday.  A 14 year old girl named Regine Mae Mani!  I'm new, but she said she "has a good feeling about me" and wants me to do it! It is probably because I'm an American, but oh well!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment