Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Godfather

This week was an okay one, but it was tough to get lessons with our investigators.  Sometimes it feels like after all you can do, sometimes some people still don't understand the importance of our message.  However, we will continue to work and do what we need to do.

We had our one day mission on Saturday with our focus on the Rescue.  It was very successful.  We were able to contact some new less active members and also receive five referrals   I am very excited for this week so we can contact them and hopefully obtain some new investigators!

This week we had our companion exchanges with the Murcia Elders.  I went to Murcia with Elder Perez and Elder Peralta came with Elder Saure in Handumanan.  It was a fun experience.  I had no idea how big their area is. Eighteen barangays is unbelievable.  They also have three mountains to cover. But they are diligent and are working hard.  Elder Perez impressed me a lot with his abilities as a missionary.  It was tough to believe that he is still in his first transfer.

On Tuesday I was made a Godfather!  It's a really big deal here in the Philippines, even for members of the church.  There is a strong Catholic influence here.  The baby's name is Cadee Bell Barillas.  Her mother is only 18 and got pregnant.  she has been disfellowshipped, but is awesome and going through the repentance process.  Even through the pregnancy and everything, she never missed a single Sunday.  It is a testimony to me that even though serious sins are committed, you can still receive forgiveness--even if it isn't easy.  Anyways, I have grown really close to the family and they asked if I would be the Maninoy (Godfather).  I'm not sure if it is really something a missionary is supposed to do, but I now have a Godchild!!!  I have included a picture of her.

I met one of Brandon Irvin's converts.  He is a returned missionary and is now less active.  He became less active about a month after returning from his mission.  He went on his mission and had a girlfriend the whole time.  They wrote his entire mission and when he returned home, he went to see her.  He walked into her house without knocking and sees her holding a baby . . . her baby.  Then his girlfriend's husband walks out and asks what he is doing in his house.  To make a long story short, he actually turned crazy.  The church ended up paying for all his medical expenses and everything so he couldn't sue the church for becoming crazy due to his mission.  He is doing okay now, but hasn't attended church since then.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when he was telling me the story.  All I said to him was, "I'm sorry man, that really sucks!"  What do you say to a guy who had that happen to him?  It was unbelievable!!

This morning I was studying in the Pearl of Great Price.  In Moses 3:24 it says that a man should cleave to his wife and no one else."  I then read a quote from President Kimball that said, "this is not a suggestion from our Heavenly Father.  This is a commandment.  When we are married our wife becomes the most important thing in our life.  Nothing/No one else comes before her.  Not even the the mother and father we hold so dear.  Even the children must take their proper, but important place behind the wife."   After reflecting on this, I was so thankful for dad and his example to us.  I am so thankful and grateful that he obeys this commandment to a tee.  I know he would choose mom every time, without hesitation.  Mom would hate that, but I know that the three of us boys feel the same way--very glad that he would choose mom.  That is what God has commanded.  I don't know why that struck me so hard, but it did.  So dad, thank you for your example to us on how to treat women!

Well, that is all I can think of for now.  Thank you all for your prayers and all the support you give me.  I love you all so much and cannot believe that we only have 15 more months!!!  Hopefully it goes fast, 'cause I miss you all!

Cadee Bell Barillas



No comments:

Post a Comment