Monday, December 24, 2012

Tribute to Grandma

Cole was asked to write something about his grandma that could be read at her funeral.  Here is what he wrote:

God saw you getting tired, and a cure was not to be
So He put his arms around you and whispered, "Come to me"
With tearful eyes we watched you and saw you pass away
And although we love you dearly, we could not make you stay.
A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands at rest
God broke our hearts to prove to us, He only takes the best!

I don't know if any poem would better describe our current situation.  God has taken the best.  And because we have a loving Heavenly Father, we know about His great plan for us.  I know that my grandmother is in that "state of peace and happiness" described in Alma 40:12

"And then it shall come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow."

I am also sure she is resting from all her troubles and labors . . . just kidding.  The Grandma I know couldn't "rest".  I am sure she is very busy teaching the gospel, in her loving but forceful way to all those in the spirit world.  I know this because she is one of those "choice spirits" mentioned in Doctrine & Covenants 138:53, who are called to continue the preaching of the gospel in the next life.

Words cannot express how I feel about my Grandma, so I won't try.  But the Grandma I am choosing to remember is the one who would threaten my football coaches if I didn't get the ball enough!  The one who never missed one of my sporting events, and the one that would give up anything to protect the ones she loved.  I hope and pray that we can all learn from the example of the Angel that our Heavenly Father blessed us with.  I love you Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment