Sunday, November 25, 2012

New Trainer/Trainee

Wow--what a week!  We didn't think we would transfer, but President Lopez hadn't made transfers yet when I wrote last week.  We found out Wednesday night that Elder Esteves was transferring and I didn't know I was training until about three hours before I met Elder Panno on Thursday. I like Elder Paano.  He is nice, and to be honest, my goal for my mission is to like all my companions.  I don't want to ever complain about any of them, so if I don't like them, I'm not sure you guys will ever find out until after my mission :)  He is 25 and the first missionary in his family.  He is very very short!  I think we will have fun as long as I am always trying to keep his needs in mind like Elder Estevez did with me!  He has been a missionary for 24 days and I have been here for 3 months.  I am not completely comfortable with Illongo and he doesn't speak it at all.  He speaks Tagalog and a little English.  It is sometimes hard to communicate, but o-well!  He has a strong spirit with him and even though for right now our lessons are half Tagalog and half Illongo, the people we are teaching understand it perfectly and say that we teach very well together.  That is definitely a blessing for our companionship right now.  I have confidence that he will learn the language quickly and if we are able to continue to have this spirit with us, we will do great things here in Handumanan.

So I am not sure Heavenly Father ever wants me to feel comfortable on my mission!  I wasn't comfortable at the MTC, then as I started to get a little bit, I left for the Philippines.  I didn't feel very comfy here at first, then I start to feel comfortable and Elder Estevez transfers and I am put in a leadership position and right back to feeling uncomfortable!  I could really use your prayers for the next three months!  I know your prayers for me with the language are helping.  My language ability has increased in unreal amounts the last three days.  Funny how the Lord qualifies who He calls!

Right before we met our new companions, President Lopez had a short interview with me.  He asked me why I was called to be a trainer.  My reply was, "To be honest President, I was hoping you could tell me.  I can't speak this language very well and I don't feel completely comfortable as a missionary yet."  He responded by saying the reason I was called to be a trainer is one, he felt the inspiration; and two, because I am obedient.  He said the only thing he cares about is obedience because he knows the rest will follow.   He said he knows he can trust me and knows I will teach Elder Panno the importance of obedience.  He said he doesn't care that I can't speak the language or anything else.  So, that is why I'm a trainer!  I thought mom would like to hear that I'm being 100% obedient!  At least to my knowledge I am!!!  I love you guys and cannot wait to talk to you on Christmas! Hope everyone is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment